Event Scheduled for Jun 20, 2013
RSVP required for this event: Click to RSVP
Event: Innovation Connection
Location: UConn Avery Point Campus; 1084 Shennecossett Road; Groton, CT 06340
Time: 03:00 pm
Details of Event:
The University of Connecticut School of Engineering Innovation Connection on Thursday, June 20th at the Avery Point Campus will feature a discussion of “Smart Ocean Technology” from 3-4 pm followed by a hosted cocktail reception in Branford House from 4-6pm.
Moderated by Heidi Douglas, Director of Engineering Alumni Relations, panelists include:
• Dr. Francis (Frank) Chan is the Director of Science and Technology for the Undersea Electromagnetic (USW) Systems Department at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport, RI. His department develops, acquires, installs, modernizes and maintains the world's most capable USW Electromagnetic Systems.
• Dr. Jun-Hong Cui is Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Connecticut. In collaboration with the University of Washington, her latest research established the vision for a new National Science Foundation (NSF) Smart Ocean Technology Research Center.
• John Duke, Founder of CurveWater, LLC, is an independent inventor based in Providence, RI. His current project is a hydrokinetic turbine for utility scale power generation from ocean and tidal currents, in development with Brown University School of Engineering.
• Peter Legnos is Founder of LBI Inc., a design, development and manufacturing company specializing in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering based in Groton, CT.
• Dr. Tim Tylaska is Founder and CEO of Tylaska Marine Hardware in Mystic, CT. His patented, novel release mechanism and other products are used on every America’s Cup sailing yacht.
Everyone is invited!
Thursday, June 20th
3:00 - 4:00 Panel Discussion (Marine Science Building, Room 103) - topic will center on Smart Ocean Technology
4:00 - 6:00 Social Networking (Branford House)
Sponsored By: Deanery Office
Pamphlet/Flyer: View file here