Theory and practice of dynamic systems and controls, with applications to additive and advanced manufacturing, information fusion, agile robots, vision-based automation, precision mechatronics, systems of systems, and human-machine collaboration.
University of Connecticut, CT, USA
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering (primary affiliation), 08/2014-Present
Assistant Professor, The Institute of Materials Science, 04/2015-Present
Assistant Professor, UTC Institute for Advanced Systems Engineering, 08/2015-Present
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering , 07/2013-06/2014
Slides for lectures/short courses: UC Berkeley Advanced Control Systems (website, notes), UCONN 3D Printing – Learn by Building Fall 2016, Ordinary differential equation, Linear algebra, Fourier analysis, Partial differential equation, 11 tools in feedback control, From Cooking to Advanced Manufacturing–Controls, Automation, and Beyond.
191 Auditorium Road, Unit 3139 United Technology Engineer Building, Rm. 382 Storrs, CT 06269-3139, USA Email: xchen[AT]uconn.edu Phone: (860) 486-3688
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, 12/2013
Minors: Optimization; Digital signal processing; Statistics
Committee: Masayoshi Tomizuka (advisor), Roberto Horowitz, Andrew Packard, Murat Arcak
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, 05/2010
Committee: Masayoshi Tomizuka (advisor), J. Karl Hedrick
Tsinghua University (outstanding college graduate, outstanding thesis), Beijing, China
Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering, 07/2008
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China
Exchange Student in Mechanical Engineering, 08/2006-12/2006
National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, 2018
Best Student Paper on Mechatronics Award (with Hui Xiao), ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division, 2018
Best Paper Award (with Dan Wang), ISCIE/ASME International Symposium on Flexible Automation, 2018
Best Vibrations Paper Award (with Tianyu Jiang), Dynamic Systems and Control Division, 2017
UConn Research Excellence Program, 2017
UTC Institute for Advanced Systems Engineering Breakthrough Award, 2016
UConn University Teaching Fellow Award Nominee, 2017
Best Paper Finalist, ISCIE/ASME International Symposium on Flexible Automation, 2014
Clyde Johnson Fellowship, UC Berkeley, 2013
F. M. Lankershim Fellowship, UC Berkeley, 2013
Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad, 2012
Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor, UC Berkeley, 2012
ASME ISPS Division Graduate Student Conference Scholarship, 2012
Frank and Margaret Lucas Fellowship, UC Berkeley, 2011
Outstanding College Graduate of Tsinghua University, 2008
Outstanding Undergraduate Thesis of Tsinghua University, 2008
Jiangxi Province Outstanding Students Scholarship, 2004-2008
Eminent award: “Ethical Leadership for the New Generation” Training Programme-Case Study Competition, Hong Kong Independent Committee Against Corruption, 2006
Gold Medal for Beijing College Student Physics Competition, 2005
Tsinghua Alumni - Xu Shunshou 1st honor Scholarship, 2005
Publicity Chair, IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, 2020
Industrial Outreach and Local Coordination Chair, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2020
Students and Young Members Chair, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2016
News Editor, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Magazine, September 2018-Present
Editor, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division (DSCD) Newsletter, Spring 2017-December 2018
Associate Editor, ASME DSCD Newsletter, 2015-2016
Chair, Vibration Technical Committee, ASME DSCD, October 2018-October 2019
Vice Chair, Vibration Technical Committee, ASME DSCD, October 2017-October 2018
Secretary, Vibration Technical Committee, ASME DSCD, October 2015-October 2017
Conference Organizing Committee
ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2016
IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, 2020
ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2020
Conference Program Committee and Editorial Board
IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, 2018
ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2014, 2016
ISCIE/ASME International Symposium on Flexible Automation (ISFA), 2016
International Conference on Complex Systems Engineering, 2015
Grant Proposal Reviews
Ad-hoc Proposal Reviewer, US Department of Defense, 2017
Ad-hoc Proposal Reviewer, National Science Foundation, 2017
Proposal Review Panelist, National Science Foundation CMMI, 2015, 2017
Ad-hoc Proposal Reviewer, Kentucky Science and Engineering Foundation, 2014
Ad-hoc Proposal Reviewer, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, 2016
IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, 2016, 2018
IEEE American Control Conference, 2015-2017
ISCIE/ASME International Symposium on Flexible Automation (ISFA), 2016, 2018
ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2014-2017
Selected Current Research: mechatronics and controls in additive manufacturing, dynamic data driven systems, precision control and vibration rejection, transient control, robotics.
Selected Past Projects: wafer scanners (semiconductor manufacturing system), active suspensions, hard disk drives (nanometer-scale precision system), electrical power steering (transportation system), spacecraft attitude control, human-machine interactions, networked control, material processing.
Theories and Algorithms: adaptive control, learning control and robust control, sensor fusion, optimization-based control, system identification, loop shaping, delay compensation.
Selected Journal Publications
- Dan Wang and Xu Chen, “A Spectral Analysis and Its Implications of Feedback Regulation beyond Nyquist Frequency”. In: IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, 23(2):916-926, April, 2018.
- Dan Wang and Xu Chen, “A multirate fractional-order repetitive control for laser-aided additive manufacturing”. In: Control Engineering Practice, 77:41-51, 2018.
- Hui Xiao, Ioan. D. Landau, and Xu Chen. “A Robust Optimal Design for Strictly Positive Realness in Recursive Parameter Adaptation”. In: International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, 31(8):1205-1216, 2017.
- Tianyu Jiang and Xu Chen, “Transmission of Signal Nonsmoothness and Transient Improvement in Add-On Servo Control”. In: IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 26(2):486-496, March, 2018.
- Hui Xiao, Tianyu Jiang, and Xu Chen, “Rejecting Fast Narrow-band Disturbances with Slow Sensor Feedback for Quality Beam Steering in Selective Laser Sintering”. In: Mechatronics, 2018.
- Xu Chen and Hui Xiao. “Multirate Forward-model Disturbance Observer for Feedback Regulation beyond Nyquist Frequency”. In: Systems & Control Letters 94 (Aug. 2016), pp. 181–188.
- Xu Chen, Tianyu Jiang, and Masayoshi Tomizuka. “Pseudo Youla-Kucera Parameterization with Control of the Waterbed Effect for Local Loop Shaping”. In: Automatica 62 (2015), pp. 177–183.
- Xu Chen and Masayoshi Tomizuka. “Discrete-time Reduced-Complexity Youla Parameterization for Dual-input Single-output Systems”. In: IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 24.1 (2016), pp. 302–309.
- Xu Chen and Masayoshi Tomizuka. “Overview and New Results in Disturbance Observer based Adaptive Vibration Rejection With Application to Advanced Manufacturing”. In: International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing 29 (2015), pp. 1459–1474. issn: 1099-1115.
- Xu Chen and Masayoshi Tomizuka. “New Repetitive Control With Improved Steady-State Performance and Accelerated Transient”. In: IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 22.2 (Mar. 2014), pp. 664– 675. issn: 1063-6536.
- Xu Chen and Masayoshi Tomizuka. “A Minimum Parameter Adaptive Approach for Rejecting Multiple Narrow- band Disturbances With Application to Hard Disk Drives”. In: IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 20.2 (Mar. 2012), pp. 408–415. issn: 1063-6536.
- Xu Chen and Masayoshi Tomizuka. “Optimal Decoupled Disturbance Observers for Dual-input Single-output Systems”. In: ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 136.5 (2014), p. 051018.
- Xu Chen and Masayoshi Tomizuka. “Selective Model Inversion and Adaptive Disturbance Observer for Time- varying Vibration Rejection on an Active-suspension Benchmark”. In: European Journal of Control 19.4 (2013). [Related summary and comparison paper], pp. 300–312. issn: 0947-3580.
Senior Research Intern at Western Digital Corporation, Irvine, California, 06/2013-06/2013
Research Intern at Western Digital Corporation, Irvine, California, 05/2012-07/2012
Research Intern at Western Digital Corporation, Irvine, California, 05/2011-08/2011
Research Intern at Western Digital Corporation, San Jose, California, 06/2010-07/2010
Intern at YuChai Engineering Machinery Corporation, GuangXi, China, 06/2005-06/2005
Xu Chen, Wei Xi, Young-Hoon Kim, and Kuang-Yang Tu. “Methods for closed-loop compensation of ultra-high frequency disturbances in hard disk drives and hard disk drives utilizing same,” U.S. patent US8630059, January 14, 2014.
Xu Chen, Jianguo Zhou, Wei Xi, Kuang-Yang Tu, and Guoxiao Guo, “Disk drive filtering disturbance signal and error signal for adaptive feed-forward compensation,” U.S. patent US8922938, December 30, 2014.
Minghui Zheng, Xu Chen, Haiming Wang, Young-Hoon Kim, Wei Xi, and Kuang-Yang Tu, “Data storage device comprising slew rate anti-windup compensation for microactuator,” U.S. patent US9007714, April 14, 2015.
Minghui Zheng, Xu Chen, Masayoshi Tomizuka, Wei Xi, Guoxiao Guo, “Data storage devices and methods with frequency-shaped sliding mode control,” U.S. patent 9,542,966, 2017.
“Adding to the Future: A System-Theoretical Modeling and Controls Framework for Precise and Reliable Additive Manufacturing,” Mechanical Engineering Seminar, University of Rhode Island, November 16 2018
“Adding to the Future: A System-Theoretical Modeling and Controls Framework for Precise and Reliable Additive Manufacturing,” Mechanical Engineering Seminar, Rutgers University, November 14 2018
Aerospace Component Manufacturers (ACM) Team Meeting and Seminar: The Current Trends in Additive Manufacturing: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Mazak Technology Center, Windsor Locks, CT, May 24 2018
“Adding to the Future: Sparse Sensing and Controls for Robust and Reliable Powder Bed Fusion,” Mechanical Engineering Byron Short Lecture, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, Feb. 9 2018
“Fast Prototyping Opportunities,” Unilever, Trumbull, CT, Dec. 18 2017
“Additive manufacturing process simulations,” Abaqus, Dassault Systems, Johnston, RI, Feb. 2017
“Mechatronics and Adaptive Local Loop Shaping for Advanced Manufacturing and Beyond,” GE Power, Windsor, CT, Apr. 28, 2016
Technical Discussion, UTRC/UConn Workshop, East Hartford, CT, Apr. 22, 2016
“From Additive Manufacturing to Precision and Adaptive Control,” in IMS Industrial Affiliates Program, Storrs, CT, May 25, 2016
“Control-related Research Opportunities in Additive Manufacturing,” in UCONN Additive Manufacturing Research Cluster Meeting, Storrs, CT, Nov. 14, 2014
“Motion Control, Precision Mechatronics, and Robotics in Advanced Manufacturing,” in NSF US-Korea Workshop on Collaboration in Advanced Manufacturing Research, Reno, Nevada, Aug. 11-12, 2014
“A Loop-Shaping Approach for Precision Control and Adaptive Disturbance Rejection,” at the University of California, San Diego, Aug. 26, 2013
“Anti-windup Design for Saturation Protection,” at Western Digital Co., Irvine, CA, Jun. 2013
“Vibration Rejection in Precision Systems—An Adaptive Band-limited Loop-shaping Control Approach,” in Mechanical Engineering External Advisory Board Meeting, UC Berkeley, Dec. 08, 2011
“Unknown Multiple Narrow-band Disturbance Rejection—An Overview,” at Western Digital Co., San Jose, CA, Jun. 2010