Up: The DRE Project - The Tool
Configuring DRE v2.05 - Collaborative Mode
Configuring a CDRE client is not complicated, but it is not trivial. Keen attention
to detail must be paid in order to get the application working properly. Users trying
to activate CDRE should first read the Standard DRE
Configuration Document as a primer for working with CDRE. Separate CDRE-only issues
are discussed here.
Secondarily, CDRE clients require information about the DRE Server. As CDRE is a
distributed application, a functioning DRE Server is needed before CDRE can be activated.
It will be necessary to get the following information from the DRE Server administrator
before following the rest of this configuration document. If YOU are also the DRE Server
administrator, read the DRE Server Configuration Document
first, as it needs to be running before a client connection can be made. Once a Server is
running, find out the following information from the DRE Server administrator:
- IP Address of the DRE Server.
- Port number on which the DRE Server is running.
- Your user ID for CDRE.
- Your user password for CDRE.
- Your remote start directory (may be set by you, if administrator wishes).
Configuring your CDRE client can now proceed. Follow these steps in order, and no
problems should occur (if they do, send a query to
- Locate the configuration file "options.txt". It should appear in a subdirectory
"config" inside the directory in which the DRE has been installed. If you cannot find
it, create a subdirectory "config" and put a new text file "options.txt" into it.
- Open "options.txt" for editing. It should contain lines similar to the following
(if you had to create "options.txt" in the previous step, copy and paste these lines
- Replace "INSERT_DRE_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS_HERE" with the IP address given to you by the
DRE Server administrator. The line should now read something like:
- Replace "INSERT_DRE_SERVER_PORT_NUMBER_HERE" with the Port number given by the DRE
- Replace "INSERT_DRE_SERVER_REMOTE_STARTING_DIRECTORY_HERE" with the specified remote
directory (can also be left blank).
- Save and close "options.txt".
- Run CDRE with
java DRE.manager.DRETool -n
- Select "Login" from the remote/administration menu. In the dialog that appears,
enter your given user ID and password, and submit.
- If the user ID is accepted, you will be able to work with DRE Server (Congratulations!).
If the user ID is rejected, and an error message is returned saying that the user name or
password is invalid, you may have typed your ID in incorrectly, so try it again (if it still
errors, re-check your ID/password with the DRE Server administrator). If you do not
receive a response, but the application appears to freeze up, check the console window. If
error messages involving socket connections appear, then your configuration file information
is incorrect. Ensure that you have entered the correct information into "options.txt". If
it still errors out, contact your DRE Server administrator.
Last Modified: 17 July 2002