Richard E. Christenson
Dept. of Civil & Env. Engr.
University of Connecticut
261 Glenbrook Road Unit 3037
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-3037
phone: (860) 486-2270
fax: (860) 486-2298
rchriste @ engr.uconn.edu
- Ph.D. - University of Notre Dame, Civil Engineering
& Geo. Sci., January 2002
- B.S. - University of Notre Dame, Civil Engineering, May
Professor, Univ. of Connecticut, Storrs, CT – Aug. 2010 - present
- United Technology Corporation Professor in Engineering Technology, Univ. of Connecticut, Storrs, CT – Jan. 2010 - Dec. 2012
Professor, Univ. of Connecticut, Storrs, CT – Jan. 2006 - Aug. 2010
- Assistant Professor, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO – Jan. 2002 - Dec. 2005
- Associate Engineer, DeLeuw,
Cather & Company (Parson’s Transportation Group), Chicago, IL and Denver, CO – May 1994 - Aug. 1996
Areas of Interest
- Smart Structures
- Real-Time Hybrid Testing
- Seismic Protective Systems
- Structural Control
- Bridge Monitoring
- Magneto-Rheological Fluid Dampers
Professional Service (most recent)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE): Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI); Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM)
- Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering (JAEE)
- University Consortium on Instructional Shake Tables (UCIST)
- Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering - 2013–present
- Chair, ASCE Structural Control and Monitoring Committee - 2011-2015
- Co-Chair Protective Systems, NEES/E-Defense Collaborative Earthquake Research Program 11th Planning Meeting (with Prof. Kohju Ikago, Tohoku University), Kobe, JAPAN - September 2015
- Member, ASCE Methods of Monitoring Structural Perf. Committee, 2012 - present
- Member/Friend, ASCE Structural Health Monitoring Committee, 2002 - present
Selected Journal Publications
Full list of publications at: Google Scholar
- C. DeVore, Z. Jiang, R.E. Christenson, E.A. Johnson and G. Stromquist-LeVoir*, “Experimental Verification of Substructure Identification for Damage Detection in Shear Buildings”, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ISSN (print): 0733-9399, 04015060-1-12, June 2015.
- A. Echevarria, A.E. Zaghi, R. Christenson, and R. Plank, “Residual Axial Capacity Comparison of CFFT and RC Bridge Columns after Fire”, Polymers 2015, 7(5), 876-895; doi:10.3390/polym7050876.
- A. Echevarria, A.E. Zaghi, V. Chiarito, R. Christenson, and S. Woodson, “Experimental Comparison of the Performance and Residual Capacity of CFFT and RC Bridge Columns Subjected to Blasts” Journal of Bridge Engineering, 04015026-1-15, May 2015.
- A. Echevarria, A.E. Zaghi, R. Christenson, and M. Accorsi “CFFT Bridge Columns for Multihazard Resilience” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001292 , C4015002, March 2015.
- R. Christenson, M. Cashany, J. Hua, and D. Zuo, “Field Testing of Signal Head Vibration Absorber Mitigation Device to Reduce Fatigue in Wind-Excited Traffic Signal Support Structures”, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Volume 2406 / Structures 2014, Vol. 1, pp. 42-48, December 2014.
- Y.-J. Cha, A.K. Agrawal, A. Friedman, B. Phillips, R. Ahn, B. Dong, S.J. Dyke, B.F. Spencer, Jr., J. Ricles, R.E. Christenson, “Performance validations of semi-active controllers on a large-scale moment resisting frame equipped with a 200 kN MR damper using real-time hybrid simulations”, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 140(10), October 2014.
- A. Friedman, S.J. Dyke, B. Phillips, R. Ahn, B. Dong, Y. Chae, N. Castaneda, Z. Jiang*, J. Zhang, Y. Cha, A. Ozdagli, B.F. Spencer, J. Ricles, R. Christenson, A. Agrawal, R. Sause, “Large-Scale Real-Time Hybrid Simulation for Evaluation of Advanced Damping System Performance”, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering 141(6), 04014150-1-13, (ISSN: 0733-9445), July 2014.
- K. Zhou, R. Christenson, J. Tang, “Rapid Identification of Properties of Column-Supported Bridge-Type Structure by Using Vibratory Response”, Journal of Vibration and Control (1077546314534719), 16 pages, June 2014.
- A.M. Aly and R.E. Christenson, “Fast Hybrid Testing of Controlled Smart Dampers for Nonlinear Structures under Earthquakes”, The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, March 2014, Volume 39, Issue 3, pp 1573-1579, DOI 10.1007/s13369-013-0749-0.
- Z. Jiang, S. J. Kim, S. Plude and R. Christenson, “Real-Time Hybrid Simulation of a Complex Bridge Model with MR dampers using the Convolution Integral Method”, Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, 22(10) (2013) 105008, DOI 10.1088/0964-1726/22/10/105008.
- Z. Jiang and R. Christenson (2012), “A fully dynamic magneto-rheological fluid damper model,” Smart Materials and Structures, 21(6), June 2012.
- S. Hoque and R.E. Christenson, “Reducing Fatigue in Wind–Excited Traffic Signal Support Structures Using an Innovative Vibration Absorber”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, n 2251, p 16-23, December 1, 2011.
- R.E. Christenson, J. Tang, K. Zhou and S.J. Kim, “Rapid and Robust Evaluation of Bridge Load-Carrying Capacity Post-Disaster” Journal of Homeland Security, Special Issue on Catastrophes and Complex Systems: Transportation, June 2011, 19 pages.
- Z. Jiang and R. Christenson (2011), “A comparison of 200 kN magneto-rheological damper models for use in real-time hybrid simulation pretesting,” Smart Materials and Structures, 20(6), 065011.