• photo slide
  • photo slide
  • photo slide
  • photo slide

Major Milestones

First Century of Excellence

History

Major Milestones

History of UConn Engineering Deans

Facilities from 1911 to President

Major Milestones

1901-1915 Two-year course in Mechanical Arts established
1916 Four-year curriculum in mechanical engineering leading to a B.S. degree
1919 Division of Mechanical Engineering establishedJohn Nelson Fitts appointed first dean of engineering
1934 Division of Engineering established, with tracks in mechanical, civil and electrical engineering
1939 Engineering I (F.L. Castleman Building) completed
1940 School of Engineering established by Board of TrusteesEstablishment of the Civil Engineering Department, Electrical Engineering Department and Mechanical Engineering DepartmentB.S. degree programs in Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering fully accredited by the Engineers Council for Professional Development
1941 B.S. degree program in Mechanical Engineering fully accredited by Engineers Council for Professional Development
1943 First M.S. degrees granted, in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
1955 First female B.S. graduates: Tina (Lizzi) Lewis and Marie (Leary) Mulligan, Electrical Engineering; Marie earns the first graduate degree (an M.S.E.E.) awarded to a woman the following year
1959 Chemical Engineering Department established
1961 University Computer Center established, directed by Electrical Engineering professor Dr. John Lof
1962 First engineering Ph.D. degrees awarded, in Electrical Engineering, to Charles Knapp and Taylor Booth
1963 Aerospace Engineering Department established (merged into Mechanical Engineering Department, ’72); M.S. and Ph.D. study only
1966 Interdisciplinary Biological Engineering (renamed Biomedical Engineering in ’96) program begun; M.S. and Ph.D. study only
1967 Department of Metallurgy established within the School of Engineering; M.S. and Ph.D. study only
1972 Computer science option (B.S., M.S., Ph.D.) established within Electrical Engineering Department
1974 Minority Engineering Program (now Engineering Diversity Program) initiated to increase the number of students from underrepresented populationsBachelor of Technology program begun to accommodate graduates of two-year technical colleges; admission ended in 1986Connecticut Transportation Institute (CTI) established within the School of Engineering
Mid-1970s Energy Research Center (since closed) established to evaluate solar thermal collectors
1980 Electrical Insulation Research Center (since closed) established with industry membership
1981 Computer Applications & Research Center (now Booth Engineering Center for Advanced Technology) established
Mid-1980s Environmental Research Center (since closed) established with interdisciplinary researchers
1986 Computer Science Department established out of the computer science program within Electrical Engineering; degree programs preceded this change: M.S. program launched ’69, Ph.D. program launched ’70, B.S. program launched ’71
1988 Center for Grinding Research & Development (since closed) established within the School of Engineering
1990 Center for Materials Simulation (since closed) established within the School of Engineering
1991 Advanced Technology Center for Precision Manufacturing (since closed) established within the School of Engineering, enveloping the Center for Grinding Research & Development and Precision Machine Tool Design & Research Center along with nanostructured materials, production systems, emerging technologies and marketing innovations
1992 Photonics Research Center (since closed) established within the School of Engineering
1993 B.S. degree program in Management & Engineering for Manufacturing (MEM) established jointly with School of Business
1999 B.S. degree programs in Computer Science, Computer Engineering (jointly with Computer Science & Engineering Department and Electrical & Computer Engineering Department), Environmental Engineering and Metallurgy & Materials Engineering established
2000 B.S. degree programs in Biomedical Engineering and Engineering Physics establishedUnited Technologies Corporation invests $4 million in School of Engineering”
2001 Connecticut Global Fuel Cell Center (now the Center for Clean Energy Engineering) established with $14.5M in funds from industry, Connecticut Innovations and federal agencies
2007 UConn establishes the Eminent Faculty Initiative in Sustainable Energy within the School of Engineering, with $2M permanent annual investment from State
2010 Pratt & Whitney Aircraft establishes a Center of Excellence in Aviation Propulsion Systems within the Mechanical Engineering DepartmentU.S. Agency for International Development-Higher Education for Development (USAID-HED) awards millions of dollars for an educational capacity-building program in water resource management within Ethiopia (UConn Engineering the U.S. lead)
2011 $170M UConn Technology Park approved by Connecticut General Assembly
2012 Center for Hardware Assurance, Security and Engineering (CHASE) established with industry and federal partners
2013 $1.5B Next Generation Connecticut STEM education initiative passed by General Assembly (Engineering enrollments to climb 70% over 10 years)GE Partnership for Advanced Materials established with $7.5M investmentPratt & Whitney Additive Manufacturing Innovation Center established, with planned $8M investmentFraunhofer Institute for Energy Innovation established within the Center for Clean Energy EngineeringUTC Institute for Advanced Systems Engineering established, with planned $10M investment
2014 Comcast Center of Excellence for Security Innovation established within the Center for Hardware Assurance, Security and Engineering (CHASE)