Workshops: M&M'S Launcher
Using materials purchased by your construction budge build an instrument for launching m&m's as far as possible. This engineering problem is solved by experimenting with the physical properties of the materials and trying out different ideas.
- The launcher must have within the design at least two simple machines: (LEVER, PULLEY, WHEEL & AXLE, SCREW, INCLINED PLANE, or WEDGE) in other words it must be a compound machine.
- You must draw at least two preliminary designs before purchasing materials.
- There must be at least two people on the design team.
- You will be limited to a construction budget of $1000 per team to purchase supplies.
- Hint: Keep in mind launching devices like a catapult or a slingshot.
MATERIALS AND COST
- Cups ($200)
- Straight pins ($10 for TEN)
- Plastic spoons ($500)
- Soda can ($50)
- Rubber bands ($100)
- Tongue depressors/popstix ($50)
- Cardboard ($100)
- Thumb tacks ($10 for FIVE)
- Paper clips ($10 for FIVE)
- Straw ($10)
- Cardboard wheels ($50 a piece)
- Clothes pin ($20)
- String ($100 per foot)
- Wooden spools ($200)